- Contributor’s Note: Seems like any decision WWE makes over the last few years has been met with great dismay from their fan base. With some claiming WWE Chairman and CEO Vince McMahon is “out of touch” and some blaming the PG rating that WWE has been under since the Ruthless Aggression Era ended, it seems to be a general consensus among fans, ESPECIALLY on the internet that the product is plain and simple missing the mark. I disagree with this and in this article we will not only divulge into why the current product is good, but we will also go into why it’s arguably the best the company has ever had. Here are ten reasons why the current product does NOT suck.
1. The roster: Look at the current array of talent WWE are accumulated. With multiple 2nd and 3rd generation stars, as well as the best women’s division the company has ever had, and the wide array of “indie darlings” the current roster is absolutely stacked with main event talent. With the likes of AJ Styles, Shinsuke Nakamura, Sami Zayn, and even Austin Aires earlier in the year, there have been many huge names from outside WWE that have made their way into the current product after full careers without. Proving the current roster is the most diverse the company has ever had.
2. The resurgence of giants: Remember the days of old with huge masses of humanity running rampid throughout the company? Well modern day, athletic big men such as Braun Strowman, Baron Corbin, and a newly heel Big Cass have been doing a great job as dominant big men. Strowman is set to main event Summerslam and many are hoping he will win his first Universal Championship, while Corbin seems to have the stage set at the biggest event of the summer to transition from Mr. Money in the bank to Mr. WWE Champion.
3. The tag team division: WWEs tag team division had struggled to create new teams with the ability to get over for quite some time. After The New Day held the tag belts longer than any team in history it seemed apparent the division was struggling with only one team finding itself getting a reaction from the crowd. Since then Sheamus and Cesaro, The Hardyz, The Revival, The USOs (after a much needed heel turn), as well as Gallows and Anderson have all done a great job with the division and made the division feel important again.
4. The Women’s Division: For the majority of the last decade the Women’s division had been plagued with bad booking, a title that looked more like a toy than a championship, and a roster of female wrestlers that are greener in the ring than a St. Patty’s day parade. What started with Paige and AJ Lee turned into a full fledged Women’s Revolution with the debuts of Charlotte, Sasha Banks, Becky Lynch, and Bayley. The recent emergence of Alexa Bliss, Naomi, and Carmella have also been a great addition to the division.
5. The Brand Split: I can’t begin to explain how crucial it was to do this again. Having all the stars on both shows not only made Smackdown feel like the B show, it essentially turned it into the “Raw Recap Show.” Even worse than that, it caused many talented performers to get lost in the shuffle.
6. Two PPVs per month: I absolutely love having two PPVs because it means more high profile matchups, plus you only have to wait two weeks for the next show now!
7. New talent being pushed: Its safe to say the days of “Super Cena” burying everybody are in the past. Last week on Smackdown saw John Cena put over Nakamura clean in a number one contenders match. Also, the splits of Enzo and Cass as well as American Alpha have given us four young singles stars that are currently being pushed. With all three members of The Shield going strong it’s safe to say the future looks bright for the company.
8. Minor Titles getting proper attention: Now this is one of the things that had bothered me for quite some time. For the longest the IC and US titles seemed to lose all relevance. But thanks to IC title feuds between the Miz, Ambrose, and multiple others the IC title is very important now. Just like thanks to great rivalries between Kevin Owens, Chris Jericho, and AJ Styles the US title has become one of the main focus points of Smackdown Live.
9. NXT: Do I even have to say why NXT is amazing? Lol.
10. Kurt Angle and Shane McMahon: I mean do I have to elaborate? It’s fucking awesome having both these guys back!
Comment your opinions and let us know what you think about the current product!!!